Sunday, November 3, 2013

Well after 15 years of wanting to be a farmer on my own farm it's finally happening! After much searching and much disappointment I came in contact with an amazing person and landlord. I found the contact through PASA's newsletter and after many e-mails, phone conversations and a couple visits. Mohammed (my new landlord) and I came to an agreement over tea and shook on it (11/2/2013). 
Today I walked the property all 10 acres! After years of corn and soybeans I can tell that the soil is tired, and its lacking in structure, no life- not a worm to be found! I have my work cut out for me, I need to ammend and nurture the soil and coax some life back into it in hopes that in return it will yield me vegetables. 
I measured the existing outbuildings and determined that one should be suitable for hay storage, the other for tools and implements. The implement shed needs work and I will get started on cleaning it out and fixing it up right away. 

Next weekend will be my first day of real work on the property. I have a long list and I am excited to see how much I can accomplish.

Keep ya posted!


No comments:

Post a Comment